Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Final thoughts

TOP TEN BEST FROM 48 STATES in10 DAYS
1. God's grace favor and protection daily on this trip
2. The company I spent the entire time with--Randy and Steve
3. Those who prayed for us while we were traversing the entire country--particularly my wife Sharon
4. The great interstate system throughout America 
5. The hosts: Jim and Kristi Westra, Barry and Sharon Harrison, Dale and Dee Hammon, David and Marilyn Potts, Mike and Laura McVay, Jim Shue, Ron and Beth Rager. Great hospitality and again THANKS!!
6. The weather (90%) of the time was awesome
7. Don Rice and his team at Rice Honda who tuned up my bike and the Old Goldwing ran like a champ the entire time with no problems 
8. The scenery was spectacular at every location in its own right
9. Jimmy's pool and spa and Nancy getting us tickets to Mystere Cirque de Soleil at Treasure Island
10. Times of prayer and intercession on the bike over the 10 days

TOP TEN WORST FROM 48 STATES in 10 DAYS
1. The 10% of the weather that was 109 degrees in Needles, CA and the gusty winds in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Montana, North and South Dakota--I mean gusty!
2. The pot holes on the New Jersey turnpike (I went in to one and came out with a different Goldwing on the other side)
3. Randy's primping--just kidding; it was all necessary prep
4. 99 miles of turns, no water and 90 plus degrees in Hell's Canyon, Idaho
5. Sleep deprivation all but one night
6. Caught between two semi rigs on I-80 outside Toledo, Ohio at 1:30 am and feeling like I am on a wave machine
7. Inadequate road markings around Atlanta--no way it was the drivers fault!
8. Arriving at 4 am at Dale and Dee Hammons after riding through 40 degree weather in New Hampshire 
9. Not having time to visit with the people who shared their homes with us
10. Missed my wife the whole trip

Randy, Steve and I traveled over 8,000 miles in 10 days. We experienced such grace from God and favor at every turn. The classic is motels we never booked and getting fair prices in the summer season. Everyone's bike ran top notch the entire trip. For me one of the most spectacular yet horrendous rides was from Cambridge, Idaho to Lewiston, Idaho..to Clarkstown, Washington back to Lewiston and in to Missoula, Montana. It was 423 miles and took over 9 1/2 hours. After Lewiston it was in the 90's and Hell's Canyon was a good name for where I felt I was going, at the same time viewing extraordinary American landscape. I  thought while I was riding, "This is a lot like sin in our lives". We think we are enjoying the ride until we go too far and then we can't seem to get out of the mess. With the hours of travel, getting in late to every stop but one, rising early to get back on the bike and begin a day lasting fro 12 to 21 1/2 hours, I can't believe we didn't struggle any more than we did. It was all truly amazing start to finish. And NO I wouldn't do it again on a bike. 
Grace and peace to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for following and praying for us on this trip! Looking forward to sharing all the stories when we complete this journey.